Minutes of Annual Parish Meeting
Held on Tuesday, 15th May 2018, 7:30pm, Whitney on Wye Village Hall
In the Chair: Alan Watkins Councillors Present: Terry Morgan
Residents: 3 In Attendance: Alison Morgan (Clerk)
1. Apologies were received from Lewis Price
2. Minutes of the Whitney on Wye Annual Parish Meeting 2017 were agreed and signed.
3. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT 2017/18
3.1. The Chairman’s report covered the following general topics:
• The Clerk was congratulated on completing her first year in the role
• The Clerk had set up a new EGPC web site, which should now be used to contact the PC, as well as being the definitive source for information on meetings, planning applications, etc.
• Defibrillators were now installed in all 3 villages, initial training had been completed and refresher sessions can be arranged, if needed
• Significant road re-surfacing on the A438 took place with a high detrimental impact on businesses within the Parish, either directly or from the diversions in place; execution was deemed to be incompetent, although BBLP had carried out some restitution in the Woodseaves Road subsequently. More was expected at the Whitney end of that road, but so far this has not taken place.
• Cllr Roger Phillips was continuing to deputise for and support Cllr Clive Skelton.
• The Parish Council supported the A L Lewis VC Memorial Fund with a £600.00 donation towards the bronze statue in Hereford city centre to mark the centenary of his death.
• Silent Soldier Silhouettes were purchased for each village.
• The precept was maintained at the same level for 2018-19, but there would be no funding from Herefordshire Council this year for the Lengthsman Scheme.
• Cllr Paul Whittall was EGPC’s representative for the Kington Surgery Review Commission and was attending meetings alongside Roger Phillips.
• Data Protection changes were having a big impact on EGPC and the work of the Clerk. The Chairman and Clerk had attended training on the new EC General Data Protection Regulation and steps were being taken to ensure compliance, some of which are already in place.
3.2. The Chairman’s report covered the following Whitney-specific topics:
• A L Lewis VC Memorial Events: Several events were being planned to take place in September 2018 to mark the centenary of Allan’s death. Some would be in Whitney & Brilley where Allan was born and lived; others in Hereford. Details will be publicised when known.
• Footpaths: work is due to be done following recent purchase of PROW materials. The Parish Council needs to know if any work is being undertaken by volunteers.
4. Open Discussion: Topics included:
- Restitution by BBLP on the Mill Half to A438 section of the A438 was still outstanding and needs to be followed up. A Parish Drive-Round is being organised for Whitney/Winforton, so this could be included.
- Silent Soldier Silhouette: everyone present agreed their preferred location is at the end of the Church Lane, close to the junction with the A438 for maximum visibility.
- Blocked culverts between the railway bridge towards Mill Half and the junction with the A438 have been marked up, but no action taken. This would also be pursued during the planned Drive-Round.
- A dangerous pothole was reported. It was suggested affected residents should either call the HC helpline or create an on-line case via the Herefordshire Council web site to address this. If residents are unable to do this, a councillor should take the matter up on their behalf. Contact details will be re-circulated via the WoW email.
- It was mentioned during the Winforton meeting that a portable defibrillator has been donated by ‘Want to Canoe’, which is likely to be kept accessible to the river. Details to follow.
The meeting closed at 8:00pm