Minutes 22nd October 2018

MINUTES OF MEETING

22nd October 2018, Whitney on Wye Village Hall

Present: Alan Watkins (Chair), Chris Davies, Phil Eggerton, Ken Goodman, Terry Morgan, Andrew Preece, Sue Prosser, Tony Raymond, Rob Taylor, Paul Whittall, Stephen Whittall, Julian Wyatt

In Attendance: Deputising Ward Councillor, Roger Phillips; Clerk to the Parish Council Alison Morgan

Members of the Public: 8

1. Apologies were accepted from Ward Councillor Clive Skelton, James Forrest, Andrew Layton and Lewis Price

2. Cllr Eggerton declared an Interest in Agenda item 5.3; the register was signed accordingly.

2.1. No requests for Dispensation were received for this meeting.

3. Open Discussion:

3.1. Ward Councillor Address: Roger highlighted several topics, including: 1) A reminder that 2019 parish road resurfacing bids needed to be submitted asap to BBLP. 2) Whitney safety barrier costs: Roger confirmed an insurance claim was made and details of the full costs were requested from Herefordshire Council (the formal commissioner of the works); Roger has also requested details of all accidents & insurance claims county-wide. 3) A higher than average incidence of abuse levelled at BBLP/contracted road workers was reported in Herefordshire, which was unacceptable. 4) Future provision of litter bins in laybys (Roger to investigate). Other items included government funding to relieve bed blocking during winter months, children’s services, adult social care and Hereford University. A report from Roger will follow shortly and will be distributed when available.

3.2. Public Participation Period: Topics and comments made included:

  • Road markings & prioritisation at the Courtlands and the adjoining new development (Item 7.4 refers). Yvonne King provided a map to illustrate the issue. It is thought speeding problems are not caused by residents. Highways Group to discuss at next meeting.
  • Works to create a hard surface pavement for the development adjacent to the Poppins, together with tarmacking the new road, had commenced and were ongoing.
  • Problems with crops and footpaths not reinstated to minimum requirements reported on EE6 (Winforton-Eardisley) and other footpaths following recent ploughing & sowing of crops.
  • A decision by the Secretary of State has allowed an appeal in respect of a request to reinstate a section of footpath from Lady Arbour farm over the railway bridge linking in with EE45 and EE6. Further consultation stages will be held as part of the legal process to modify the Definitive Map, so changes are not imminent. This could resolve some of the ongoing access issues with EE6. The Highways Group will take a closer look at the proposed route.
  • Accelerated erosion of the River Wye is causing a flood risk on the A438 at Whitney. Roger and the HWG to follow up.

4. The Minutes of the meeting held on 17th September 2018 were APPROVED and signed by the Chairman as a true record.

5. Finance & Compliance Working Group (FCWG) matters:

5.1. Bank Reconciliation H1/2018: The Clerk presented the summary of income and receipts for the period 1st April to 30th September 2018. Full details to be published on the EGPC web site shortly. Totals were RATIFIED by councillors present and will be consolidated for further review at year end. It was confirmed the VAT refund claim for £612.19 has been paid by HMRC.

5.2. Budget Update 2018-2019 & Precept 2019-20: The Clerk showed an illustration of actuals income & spend for the first half of the year. The figures had been debated by the FCWG and it was recommended that 2019-20 Precept should be increased by £2,000 to £12,000. Factors included the end of P3 Scheme Funding, overall price increases (current precept has remained unchanged for two years) and election costs in 2019. This recommendation was APPROVED and it was resolved the Clerk would make EGPC’s precept return to HC on this basis by the deadline. It was further agreed that the FCWG would look at a strategy for increasing the precept on a more regular cycle to take into account known expenditure and/or price increases.

5.3. P3 Contract Agreement: Cllr Eggerton left the room for this item. The FCWG outlined further revisions made to the draft Agreement. Following questions and debate, the changes were AGREED and the Chairman signed the Acceptance Form. On his return, the paperwork was given to Cllr Eggerton who will review and return a counter-signed Acceptance Form to the Clerk, unless additional queries are raised.

6. Planning Working Group (PWG) matters:

6.1. Following recommendations from the PWG and general discussion, it was AGREED the Clerk should send PC comments to the Planning Department at HC, as follows:

6.1.1. P183163/FH – 10 Upper Court, Eardisley HR3 6PW: Proposed single storey garden room extension. There were no concerns about this application and it should be supported.

6.1.2. P183330/F – Questmoor Farm, Eardisley HR3 6LN: This application requests planning permission for the material change of use of the semi-detached property at Questmoor Farm from residential to business use (C3 to B1). This proposal was also supported.

6.2. P182750/F – Land at Welshwood Farm, Whitney on Wye HR3 6JA: Change of use from agricultural to tourism and construction of two 3-bedroom barns for holiday accommodation. EGPC had not been able to post its concerns regarding this proposal as the Clerk had been advised the application had currently been suspended by Herefordshire Council and was no longer on their web site.

6.3. A round-up of all planning activity since the last meeting can be found in Planning Minutes October on the EGPC web site and/or you can review full details of each application via the HC Planning Portal (direct link from EGPC web site): https://eardisleygrouppc.org/planning-applications/

7. Highways matters covered the following:

7.1. A438 Whitney Crash Barrier Repair: Status as advised above; plus the Freedom of Information request on accidents/insurance claims by Ward Councillor Phillips.

7.2. Parish Drive Round (Eardisley): This took in incidents previously reported, plus new issues. Details will be posted in the Highways area on the web site shortly. Meanwhile, the Lengthsman has started clearing designated areas of pavement in the 3 parishes to improve pedestrian safety. Flooding on the main road through Eardisley was highlighted again as a high priority issue with BBLP and photographs provided to illustrate the problem. Other issues concerning blocked waterways would be raised with the Environment Agency in the first instance.

7.3. Roads Resurfacing Bid: The Highways Group will meet next week to finalise EGPC’s bid. Roads to be included are: northern section of road through Eardisley; roads from Whitney Court turn, past Kiln Wood and down to Mill Half in Whitney; Lower Welson area; Little Park area towards Kinnersley. In addition, the deadline for responding to the HC Pot Hole scrutiny is 2nd November and it was AGREED the HWG would consolidate a response for the Clerk to send on behalf of EGPC by this date.

7.4. Priority R.O.W for Motorists (the Courtlands): Following the supplementary information provided and the discussion in 3.2 above, this will be further researched by the HWG at their next meeting.

7.5. ‘No SatNav’ Warning Signs: The HWG had looked at more suppliers and provided a quote from Hirst Signs Ltd. which was significantly cheaper than the mainstream on-line suppliers. It was RESOLVED the Clerk should proceed to place an order for 3 bespoke signs, for which the cost will be circa £100.00 in total (plus VAT).

8. Community Services update:

8.1. Defibrillator Signage: It was determined a total of four metal signs was required, plus several other signs that could be printed, laminated and placed on noticeboards / in shop windows, etc. at minimal cost.*

8.2. ‘No Dog Fouling’ signs (Eardisley, near the Pump House: As per the last meeting, two signs are required.*

*Considering the reasonable prices quoted by Hirst Signs Ltd (Item 7.5 refers), it was AGREED the Clerk should obtain a quote for defibrillator and dog fouling signs and proceed with purchase of the same before the next meeting, assuming the quotes are better value than those already obtained. The Clerk should check whether carriage costs could be saved by placing a single order for all three sign types.

9. Bank balances as at 9th October were confirmed as follows:

Main Account                         £13,775.08
No. 2 Account                           £7,858.97
Business Saver Account        £3,782.55

Since the last meeting, the Clerk paid (<£100.00 & dispensation on green bags and as agreed in September 2018 Minutes, item 5.5):

Payee                                                        Description                   Gross Amount (£)  VAT (£)
Whitney Village Hall                                Hall Hire (July)                              12.00            0.00
Eardisley Village Hall                              Hall Hire (September)                 19.00            0.00
Eardisley Millennium Green Trust       Donation                                   1000.00            0.00

It was RESOLVED to pay the following:

Payee                                                        Description                   Gross Amount (£)  VAT (£)

A Morgan                                                  Office & Clerk Expenses               39.33               1.33

                                                                   (September 2018)

10. Correspondence: The following items were noted:

10.1. HC: Elections 2nd May 2019 & Estimated Costs
10.2. BBLP: Updated Lengthsman/P3 Guidance Notes
10.3. HC Pothole Scrutiny: Reminder
10.4. HC: Keep Herefordshire Warm Initiative
10.5. V8 Media: Additional Domain Charge
10.6. BHIB Councils Insurance: The Aviva Community Fund

11. Matters for the Next Agenda – no discussion:

 

Please send Agenda items to the Clerk by Friday, 9th November, thank you

NEXT MEETING: Monday, 19th November 2018, 7:30pm in
Whitney on Wye Village Hall