Minutes 21st May 2018

MINUTES OF MEETING
21st May 2018, Eardisley Village Hall

Present: Alan Watkins (Chair), Chris Davies, Phil Eggerton, James Forrest, Ken Goodman, Andrew Layton, Terry Morgan, Andrew Preece, Lewis Price, Sue Prosser, Tony Raymond, Paul Whittall, Steven Whittall

In Attendance: Cllr Philip Price, Herefordshire Council Cabinet Member for Infrastructure; Richard Mills, Lengthsman; Clerk to the Parish Council Alison Morgan

Members of the Public: 9

1. Apologies were accepted from Ward Councillors Roger Phillips and Clive Skelton Not in Attendance: Rob Taylor, Julian Wyatt

2. No Declarations of Interest were made.

2.1. No requests for Dispensation were received for this meeting.

3. Open Discussion:

3.1. Councillor Address: Cllr Phillip Price addressed the meeting, incorporating the A438 resurfacing, including the high impact on local businesses. The surface materials used are the strongest available with an estimated lifespan of 30 years; the machinery needed to lay it required road closure due to its width. Further works planned in August. A Cabinet decision on the bypass route is due on 19th June and would be funded nationally; it would include cycling, walking & transport policies. Affordable housing: In future, the Housing Association would not take this on unless developments were 10 houses or more in size, thus impacting smaller rural areas.

3.2. Public Participation Period: Topics and comments made included:

  • The bypass consultation.
  • Following works by BT, there is an issue with a manhole cover in Winforton. Residents advised to keep reporting it using the contact details/on-line form on Herefordshire Council web site. This can also be an item for the Parish Drive Round if no action has been taken in the interim. This advice also applies to a pot hole reported near the Common.
  • Silent Soldier Silhouettes: It was RESOLVED to open the meeting at Agenda item 10 for proposals to be debated.
  • Winforton TRO: Due to the volume of TRO’s passed to Herefordshire Council by ADL for review, there was likely to be a delay in a decision being reached.

4. Minutes of the meeting held on 23rd April 2018 were APPROVED and signed by the Chairman as a true record.

5. The Finance & Compliance Working Group reported:

5.1. Data Protection (GDPR) Compliance Status Update: The Clerk reported progress on several actions from the last meeting, namely: SSL Certificates and Robot Checker were live on the web site; an additional memory stick had been purchased and the enhanced back-up process would commence w.e.f. end May; contact details for councillors, together with information on roles & responsibilities has been published on the web site; the set-up of new email addresses for councillors is in process and the Clerk will provide the Chairman with a list of accounts and passwords as back-up, by the end of June.

5.2. Annual Return 2018-19: Status & Next Steps: The draft return and portfolio of supporting materials was submitted to the internal auditor; results and feedback are expected by 12th June, in time to be considered at the June PC meeting, prior to finalising the return for despatch to the external auditors.

5.3. Parish Annual Maintenance Plan: The Clerk confirmed EGPC P3 grant funding has been approved at the same level as 2017-18, but this is the final year of HC contribution. The Clerk was obtaining an amended version of the contract from BBLP to correct a budget error in the original version. It was AGREED the Chairman and Clerk would sign the amended contract once it was received.

6. Report from the Planning Working Group (PWG):

6.1. The Chairman opened the meeting to enable Nancy James to provide recommendations from the WG on current applications, as follows:

6.1.1. P181197/F – Lowlands, Eardisley HR3 6NS: Demolition of an existing chalet bungalow together with several outbuildings and the erection of a replacement dwelling. The view of the WG was the proposal was outside the settlement boundary, meaning only a one dwelling for one dwelling replacement was possible; the house should be placed in Flood Zone 1 of the site; 3 storeys was excessive and not in keeping. It was, therefore, recommended the application should only be approved if the design was changed to 2 storeys.

6.1.2. P181289/F – Eardisley Church of England Primary School: Proposed replacement of existing chain link fencing to playing field with new green weld mesh fencing. The group observed the fence along the A4111 has already been replaced with green mesh; so, no reason why the rest cannot also be replaced.

6.1.3. P181420/XA2 – PP Approval of Details Reserved by Condition – Mill Half Farm, Whitney: Application for approval of details reserved by conditions 4, 5 & 9 attached to planning permission 151609 – FOR INFORMATION ONLY (no comments).

6.1.4. P181447/F – The Buttley, Winforton HR3 6EA: Proposed erection of detached replacement dwelling with garage. The WG pointed out the application was outside the settlement boundary (as above). They could see no reason for disallowing this application.

6.1.5. P181180/F – Keeper’s Cottage, Winforton HR3 6EB: Change of use of land to provide new driveway and parking/turning area. The WG commented this application does not impinge on any neighbour or involve building any structure. Therefore, the recommendation was to support it.

Following further discussion, the PC AGREED to follow the WG’s recommendations; the Clerk to respond accordingly to HC Planning on items 6.1.1 to 6.1.5, as above.

6.2. A round-up of all planning activity since the last meeting can be found in Planning Minutes May on the EGPC web site and/or you can review full details of each application via the HC Planning Portal (direct link from EGPC web site): https://eardisleygrouppc.org/planning-applications/

7. Report from the Environment Working Group:

7.1. Trees, Old Sawmills site: The new owner has indicated the poplars and leylandii trees felled recently will be replaced with native species trees; no definite timeframe has been set and it is intended to combine the planting with other works on the site in due course.

8. The Highways Working Group (HWG) update covered the following:

8.1. Winforton TRO: This is now pending a decision, having been passed on to Herefordshire Council by ADL (consultants to BBLP) at the end of the public consultation period.

8.2. Lengthsman & P3 Schemes Status Update: The session was opened to allow Lengthsman, Richard Mills, to address the meeting. Richard undertook to provide the PC with a list of services his team can offer. Richard advised other parishes use the Parish Drive Round scheme with the BBLP Locality Steward to identify works required. It was necessary to plan works throughout the year, rather than leaving until the last quarter. It was AGREED the Highways Group would meet again with Richard prior to the next PC meeting to discuss ways of working in more detail.

8.3. Village Gates: Damage, Maintenance & Spares: John Warne indicated he is prepared to continue storing the spare parts in his garage for the time being. Meanwhile, any problems with the gates need to be reported to the HWG. Depending on the type of issue, it could be an issue for BBLP or the Lengthsman, if it was not the kind of task a volunteer could undertake.

8.4. Speed Indicator Devices: This is on hold until the decision on the TRO is known; thereafter, SID’s – together with other traffic calming measures need to be considered again for all villages.

8.5. ‘No SatNav’ Warning Signs: Members of the HWG needs to drive round to look at the requirements on the ground and then to make recommendations regarding how many signs and their proposed locations to cover the loop from Woodseaves Road, around Lower Welson and out to the Kington Road.

8.6. Parking Issue, Church Road, Eardisley: Further to the Parish Drive Round in February 2018, Phil Eggerton had obtained a price directly from the supplier of bell bollards who quote £938.00 (plus VAT), i.e. significantly cheaper than the figure suggested by BBLP (est. £1,600.00, plus installation). In addition, the landowner had agreed to meet the full cost of installation. The proposal to purchase a bell bollard was APPROVED and the Clerk will follow up with the supplier (Furnitubes) accordingly.

9. Community Services:

9.1. Defibrillators: There is still no paper trail for the installation of the defibrillator unit in Winforton, which is required for Health & Safety and insurance purposes. James Forrest agreed to investigate further with Sportfish, who may have been given the certificate.

9.1.1. Signage: The WG needs to agree how many signs are required, type of sign and proposed locations in each village, as appropriate.

9.1.2. ‘No Dog Fouling’ signs (Eardisley, near the Pump House): costs/options to be reviewed. It was suggested two signs are required to be located either side of the pump house. Means of erecting the signs needs to be determined.

10. Silent Soldier Silhouettes: The meeting was opened to enable resident suggestions on site locations to be further debated, as follows:

10.1. Eardisley: the preferred public suggestion of The Pound was discounted after it was disclosed the area was privately owned by multiple title holders. Consulting with all for permission would be time-consuming and indications given were they may not all be in favour of the silhouette being mounted there. After further discussion, it was AGREED location should be on the verge (near to but not on) the village gate at the entrance to the village.

10.2. Winforton: unanimous public support for a visible location close to the Sun Inn public house, subject to agreement from the owners. Cllr James Forrest to follow up.

10.3. Whitney-on-Wye: unanimous public support for locating the silhouette on the grass verge at the end of Church Lane at the juncture with the A438. Cllr Terry Morgan and Steve Morgan (RBL) to follow up.

11. Bank balances as at 9th May were confirmed as follows:

Main Account:                       £11,169.10
No. 2 Account:                         £7,353.90
Business Saver Account:      £3,778.78

Since the last meeting, the Clerk paid (<£100.00 & dispensation on green bags):

Payee                                   Description                                           Gross Amount (£)      VAT (£)
Herefordshire Council         Green Bags                                                             296.00              0.00
HC/A Morgan                        Green Bags Price Increase(Reimbursement)       8.00                0.00
Whitney VH                           Hall Hire (March Meeting)                                     15.00                0.00

It was RESOLVED to pay the following:

Payee                                   Description                                           Gross Amount (£)      VAT (£)
A Morgan                              Office & Clerk Expenses (April)                             31.87                1.33
BHIB Ltd                              Annual Insurance Renewal                                   294.04                0.00

12. Correspondence: No additional correspondence items were noted.

13. Matters for the Next Agenda – no discussion:

13.1. NDP Settlement Boundaries
13.2. NDP Review
13.3. Speed Limits: 30mph Woodseaves Road (Redgates/Woodseaves Farm)

Please send Agenda items to the Clerk by Friday, 8th June, thank you.
NEXT MEETING: Monday, 18th June 2018, 7:30pm, Winforton Community Hall

14. Employment Matters: In closed session, it was AGREED the Clerk’s hourly rate of pay should be uplifted from £9.743 to £10.107 to reflect the recent NALC salary award, effective 01.04.2018. The Spinal Column Point remains unchanged, although this should be reviewed as/when the Clerk obtains the CiLCA qualification.