Minutes 21st January 2019

MINUTES OF MEETING

21st January 2019, Eardisley Village Hall

 

Present: Alan Watkins (Chair), Chris Davies, Phil Eggerton, James Forrest, Ken Goodman, Terry Morgan, Andrew Layton, Lewis Price, Sue Prosser, Paul Whittall, Stephen Whittall, Julian Wyatt

In Attendance: Clerk to the Parish Council, Alison Morgan

Members of the Public: 6

1. Apologies were accepted from Ward Councillor Clive Skelton, Deputising Ward Councillor Roger Phillips, Cllr Andrew Preece, Cllr Tony Raymond and Cllr Rob Taylor

2. No Declarations of Interest were made.

2.1. No requests for Dispensation were received for this meeting.

3. Open Discussion:

3.1. Ward Councillor Address: Due to Roger’s presence being required in London, no address was made at this meeting. Roger’s latest ward update will follow shortly; it will be distributed and posted on the EGPC web site when available.

3.2. Public Participation Period: Topics and comments included:

  • Statistics show Herefordshire Council’s income from motorists (fines, etc.) has sharply increased in the past year, compared with a reduction in roads maintenance spending. This will be flagged up with Ward Cllr Phillips.
  • Winforton TRO status: Due to objections to the BBLP recommendations, this was sent for review by Herefordshire Council in June 2018 and is still in the queue for a decision. Indications are a judgement will now be made within 3 weeks and funding will remain in place, whatever the decision outcome.
  • The field behind the Courtlands development (Winforton) is reported to be very messy with waste materials from the building site, etc. Cllr Forrest agreed to speak with the developer.
  • Additionally, the Poppins development (Winforton) – an unacceptable amount of debris has been left behind after completion. It was agreed EGPC would contact the Enforcement Officer.

4. The Minutes of the meeting held on 19th November 2018 were APPROVED and signed by the Chairman as a true record.

5. Finance & Compliance Working Group (FCWG): The Clerk reported the 2019 meetings schedule was now finalised; a link has been distributed and dates published on the web site. Further draft policies on Data Protection and Vexatious Complainants were still in process but would be available for consideration at February’s meeting.

5.1. Q3/2018-19 Budget Performance Update: The Clerk presented a report explaining Q3 income & expenditure and confirming all budget elements were within expected parameters for the time of year, vis-a-vis Q4 expected income & expenditure. Steps are being taken to maximise P3 grant income in its final year (see 7.2 below). Budgeted bell bollard expenditure may not now be required; this will be checked and confirmed at the next meeting. The budget tracker is on the web site.

5.2. Risk Assessment (January 2019): Recommendations from the FCWG to update the last assessment, adopted in September 2018, were APPROVED. Minor changes relate to insurance renewal and banking arrangements. The updated assessment report will be published on the web site very soon.

5.3. Insurance Renewal: The Clerk highlighted EGPC’s insurance provider changed during the past year and 2019 marked the end of a 3-year negotiated package. Due to the renewal date (1st June) falling into the busy period including annual return and elections, it was suggested and RESOLVED to contact the insurers now for information on available renewal options.

5.4. NALC Salary Award 2019-20: The Clerk advised a new national salary award will be effective from 01.04.2019. A resolution will be considered in closed session (see 12 below).

6. Planning Working Group (PWG) matters:

6.1. There were no new active applications to consider at this meeting, although a number of applications were reviewed by the Planning Group in the interim between Nov-January. One Prior Approval application – P184515: Redgates – Proposed change of use of an agricultural building to create a single dwelling house along with building operations to facilitate the change still required feedback. It was AGREED the decision to accord Permitted Development status would rest with HC and the Clerk will respond accordingly on behalf of EGPC, on the basis of comments made by the PWG (Nancy James’s email refers). A round-up of all planning activity can be found in Planning Minutes December/January on the EGPC web site and you can review full details of each application via the HC Planning Portal (direct link from EGPC web site): https://eardisleygrouppc.org/planning-applications/

6.2. Appeal: Application 174088 (5 Dwellings with Garages, land adjoining Courtlands Farm) was submitted by the developer for appeal to the Planning Inspectorate. EGPC has responded, re-stating its original reasons for objection and adding further comments to bring it up to date. The appeal decision is pending.

6.3. Winforton War Memorial Listing Proposal: It was RESOLVED the proposal to list the Winforton memorial as a Grade II structure should be supported since it will offer greater future protection for what is acknowledged as a special historic monument. The Clerk will forward comments accordingly.

6.4. Proposed Parliamentary Bill to limit Planning Application Appeals: The Chairman opened the meeting to permit Yvonne King to present this item. This is a Private Members Bill that had its first reading on 04.12.2018. If passed, it would limit the grounds of appeal against decisions on planning applications consistent with a neighbourhood development plan or local plan. The second reading will take place on 25.01.2019. EGPC agreed the Bill would be very welcome. The meeting reverted to closed session.

7. The Highways Working Group (HWG) report covered the following:

7.1. Priority R.O.W for Motorists (the Courtlands): Graham Hornsby (BBLP) wrote to EGPC outlining possible options for addressing the issue but advising that no funding was available associated with the development. It was suggested and AGREED the Clerk should ask BBLP for estimated costs and contact the Police & Crime Commissioner’s office regarding potential funding.

7.2. Lengthsman/P3 Scheme Update: LM: Further works will be carried out in Winforton to improve pavement surfaces and clear a blocked ditch. P3: The HWG authorised all outstanding, approved Works Orders (67-69, 72-75 & 76-78) to be completed and invoiced no later than mid-March to enable the Clerk to submit the final claim to HC/BBLP. In addition, on instruction from the HWG, the Clerk will order more PROW furniture for installation and stock before the deadline of 1st February. The Locality Steward, Lara Edwards, will also be contacted to request signs for footpath gates, i.e. dogs to be kept on leads near livestock and gates to be closed following recent incidents.

7.3. ‘No SatNav’ Warning Signs: All signs had now been received and were of good quality. Cllr Steven Whittall will kindly arrange installation, as previously agreed.

7.4. Additionally, Cllr Price withdrew the issue he raised regarding cost of the A438 barrier repair near Whitney toll bridge as no information was forthcoming from HC/BBLP.

8. Community Matters:

8.1. Defibrillator & Dog Fouling Signage: As above, these signs had also been delivered. It was AGREED the HWG should take responsibility for distributing and installing them, except 2 dog fouling signs for the Pump House area in Eardisley, to be put up by Cllr Preece. In addition, the Clerk advised she has 3 further Dog Fouling signs donated by Herefordshire Council. One was allocated to the Millennium Green; the HWG will consider other requests when they are received.

8.2. Silent Soldier Silhouettes: A request had been received to relocate both silhouettes in Eardisley closer to the war memorial in the church yard; the preference in Winforton was to remove the silhouette to storage until Remembrance commemorations 2019. Cllr Forrest will action for Winforton.

8.3. NDP & Community Web Sites: Nancy James has been in contact with the British Library which agreed to host the archived NDP web site for historical reference. This is in process and EGPC will be advised when it is complete. It should be possible to include a link from EGPC’s web site and the only ongoing cost will be the domain name, thus saving hosting fees or a significant exercise to relocate the NDP content onto the main EGPC site. Design of the new community web site is finished and should go live soon once testing is complete.

8.4. Rural Broadband Services: A very variable service is received across the parish. The Chairman will be attending an HC organised summit meeting on 25.01.2019 and will approach the Fastershire stand to raise concerns and seek advice.

9. Bank balances as at 9th January were confirmed as follows:

Main Account                                     £11,158.64
No. 2 Account                                     £  7,858.97
Business Saver Account                  £  3,784.44

Since the last meeting, the Clerk paid (<£100.00 & dispensation on green bags):

Payee                                                 Description                               Gross Amount (£)   VAT (£)

HALC                                                   Web Site Hosting Fees                         72.00                   12.00
HALC                                                   Domain Name Fee                                60.00                  10.00
HALC                                                   Clerk Training (Elections)                     36.00                    6.00
Whitney VH                                        Hall Hire (October/November)           30.00                    0.00
Richard Mills                                      Lengthsman Works                            483.60                  80.60

It was RESOLVED to pay the following:

Payee                                                 Description                               Gross Amount (£)   VAT (£)
Hirst Signs Ltd                                   Signs (various)                                     341.40                 56.90
A Morgan                   Office & Clerk Expenses (Nov/ Dec 2018)                 32.28                    2.66

10. Correspondence: The following items were noted:

10.1. Invitation from HC to attend summit meeting on 25.01.2019
10.2. Intro from Paul Crumpton (West Mercia Police) re Crime Prevention Talks

11. Matters for the Next Agenda – no discussion:

11.1. Additional Data Protection Policies
11.2. Vexatious Complaints Policy
11.3. Parking Issue, Almeley Road, Eardisley
11.4. Standing Water on resurfaced road, central Eardisley

A RESOLUTION was passed to close the public meeting for the final agenda item.

12. Employment Matters: The Clerk explained changes to the grading structure in the NALC Salary Award from 2019. As a result, the Spinal Column Point (SCP) relevant to the Clerk has changed from 19 to 8 with effect from 01.04.2019. The associated hourly rate has been increased from £10.01 to £10.37 from the same date as part of the national pay settlement. It was proposed and APPROVED for the Clerk to be paid the new, national hourly rate w.e.f. 01.04.2019 and for the SCP to be amended accordingly in the Clerk’s terms & conditions as an addendum to the employment contract.

Please send Agenda items to the Clerk by Friday, 8th February, thank you.

NEXT MEETING: Monday, 18th February 2019, 7:30pm in

Whitney on Wye Village Hall