Minutes 18th March 2019

MINUTES OF MEETING

18th March 2019, Eardisley Village Hall

Present: Alan Watkins (Chair), Chris Davies, James Forrest, Ken Goodman, Terry Morgan, Andrew Layton, Lewis Price, Sue Prosser, Rob Taylor, Paul Whittall, Steven Whittall and Julian Wyatt

In Attendance: Deputising Ward Councillor Roger Phillips; Clerk to the Parish Council, Alison Morgan

Members of the Public: 8

1. Apologies were accepted from Ward Councillor Clive Skelton and Phil Eggerton. Not in Attendance: Andrew Preece, Tony Raymond

2. No Declarations of Interest were made.

2.1. No requests for Dispensation were received for this meeting.

3. Open Discussion:

3.1. Ward Councillor Address: Roger covered a range of issues, including rural broadband coverage, the council tax increase, a local climate change initiative and Kington Medical Centre. Some positive progress has been made on relieving pressure on the medical centre and a quarterly newsletter is circulated for all to keep up to date. Roger continues to liaise with HC/BBLP on road issues, including flooding on the A438; the Clerk will contact BBLP regarding problems in Winforton/Willersley. Roger supported EGPC’s decision to adopt a Vexatious Complaints policy as a means of protecting councillors and staff. Finally, Roger thanked all EGPC councillors for their efforts during their term of office; the Chairman on behalf of the PC thanked Roger for his support during Clive’s absence, which has been much appreciated. Roger’s next ward update report will follow shortly and posted on the EGPC web site when available.

3.2. Public Participation Period: Items discussed included:

    • The Winforton Cross has again been knocked off its plinth by a vehicle. It was requested the PC should look again at options for raising it up to make it more visible and any other means of protecting it. The Highways Group will take this issue for further evaluation.
    • The BBLP employee who was looking into costs of the Winforton Courtlands priority signage options had moved on and there would be a delay while her replacement was taking over the role. There was concern about availability of funding from the PCC due to high demand, so timing is an issue (8.1 below refers).
    • DMMO EE49: It came to light, EGPC’s response supporting this proposal had not reached HC by the 15th March deadline. The Clerk has emailed Michael Mable (HC) with a copy of EGPC’s response & it was hoped it could still be considered.
    • The Chairman congratulated Eardisley Young Farmers on their recent success on reaching the semi-finals of a national entertainment competition.

4. The Minutes of the meeting held on 18th February 2019 were APPROVED and signed by the Chairman as a true record.

5. Finance & Compliance Working Group (FCWG): Main items discussed are as below:

5.1. Elections May 2019: The Clerk reminded councillors of the need to ideally deliver nomination forms in person to the Electoral Services team, either in Hereford or one of the distributed centres so that informal checks can be carried out prior to submission. Electoral numbers of proposers & seconders can be obtained from the Clerk. Information on the elections will be published on the new Elections 2019 page on the EGPC web site: https://eardisleygrouppc.org/elections-2019/

5.2. Parish Noticeboards: The Clerk has been in touch with Whitney & Eardisley Village Halls. Both were keen to take advantage of the proposal to replace existing boards and the Clerk has undertaken to keep both parties in the loop. The Clerk hopes to bring sample quotes to the April meeting.

5.3. Pension Re-enrolment: Declaration of Compliance: The Clerk advised the new date will be set as 1st April to coincide with the financial year end processes. The EGPC return will be due as soon as possible after this date and no later than 3rd December 2019.

5.4. Lengthsman/P3 Tender Process 2019-2020: This was discussed at both the Finance and Highways working group meetings. The recommendation was to use the draft Invitation to Tender forms drawn up by the Clerk and to advertise locally. This was AGREED and it was further RESOLVED the Clerk should investigate costs of placing a notice in the Hereford Times. Due to timing, the closing date for tenders would be 30.04.2019, covering the period May 2019 – March 2020.

5.5. Vexatious Complaints Policy: An updated draft was circulated and additional feedback received. After further discussion, it was AGREED the Clerk should re-circulate the revised draft for further consideration prior to the next meeting.

6. Planning Working Group (PWG) matters: Items were reported as below:

6.1. Herefordshire Council Briefing: the NPPF, 5 Year Housing Land Supply and NDP’s: On behalf of the PWG, Nancy provided a synopsis of this briefing. In summary: Herefordshire Council Neighbourhood Planning (NP) Team advise no action should be taken to revise NDP’s until after the Core Strategy has been revised and adopted in 2021. The full rationale is attached with these minutes.

6.2. Planning Enforcement (Winforton): The Clerk contacted HC Planning Enforcement Officer, Mark Tansley about the Courtlands and Poppins sites, Brick Cottage and Winforton Wood. It was reported debris on the Courtlands should be cleared soon; other items were still being investigated.

6.3. P190549/L – Woodseaves, Eardisley, Hereford HR3 6LY: Application for variation of condition 2 of Listed Building Consent P180313/L (Proposal for a new oak framed conservatory). To allow tiled roof with two roof lights. It was RESOLVED this application should be supported and the Clerk will respond accordingly. A round-up of all planning activity can be found in Planning Minutes March 2019 on the EGPC web site and you can review full details of each application via the HC Planning Portal (direct link from EGPC web site): https://eardisleygrouppc.org/planning-applications/

7. NDP Archiving Update: The former NDP web site is now archived by the British Library free of charge, meaning hosting charges will not be payable in future. It will still be necessary to retain the domain name for the foreseeable future (see items for payment in item 9 below).

8. The Highways Working Group (HWG) reported landowners have undertaken some remedial works in Bakers Lane (Winforton). The flooding issue on the A438 between Winforton & Willersley was mentioned again and one of the signs at the Willersley junction of the A438 is broken. The Clerk will report both problems to BBLP. Recent storms have caused two blockages by fallen trees on the restricted byway WW9. Mrs Warne (Footpaths Officer) and Cllr Goodman will investigate and attempts will be made to contact the landowner. The following agenda points were also discussed:

8.1. Priority R.O.W for Motorists (the Courtlands): The status of this item was as reported by Mrs King under 3.2 above and is being followed up by Mrs King, on behalf of the HWG, with the new member of staff at BBLP.

8.2. Turning Danger on A4111 (Kington to Eardisley), Wootton Farm: Concerns were raised about the speed of traffic round the bends in the road, close to several farm entrances. It was thought there may have formerly been signage in this area that has been pushed into the ditch. It was AGREED the Highways Group would follow this up with BBLP on the next parish drive round.

8.3. Lengthsman/P3 Scheme Update: LM: The Clerk advised two of the three outstanding Works Orders are now complete and it is hoped ditch clearance requested will be done before the financial year end, weather permitting. P3: Final invoices for P3 works in this financial year have been submitted for approval (item 9 below refers), which will enable the Clerk to make a claim for grant funding by the deadline of 31st March 2019. Additional PROW installation works are planned after 1st April.

9. Bank balances as at 11th March were confirmed as follows:

Main Account                           £7,070.02
No. 2 Account                           £7,858.97
Business Saver Account        £3,784.44

Since the last meeting, the Clerk paid (<£100.00 & dispensation on green bags):

Payee                                                      Description                          Gross Amount (£)   VAT (£)
Herefordshire Council                         Green Bags                                       380.00                  0.00

It was RESOLVED to pay the following:

Payee                                     Description                                            Gross Amount (£)   VAT (£)
HALC                                      HALC Annual Sub. (Inv. H605)                          766.91          127.82

R Mills                                    Lengthsman Works (Inv. 3361)                         292.80           48.80
P Eggerton                             P3 Works (Inv. 3184)                                          296.00             0.00
P Eggerton                             P3 Works (Inv. 3187)                                          984.00             0.00
N James/123 Reg                  NDP Domain Renewal                                         23.98             4.00
A Morgan                               Office & Clerk Expenses (Feb 2019)                  13.99              1.33

10. Correspondence: The following item was noted:

10.1. Email from Mr Jack Boulton, resident of Whitney re speed on A438

11. Matters for the Next Agenda – no discussion:

• Speeding issues A438, Whitney on Wye
• Great Oak, Woodseaves: Ownership/Signage/Insurance
• Vexatious Complaints Policy – to consider for adoption

 

Please send Agenda items to the Clerk by Friday, 5th April, thank you.

NEXT MEETING: Monday, 15th April 2019, 7:30pm in
Whitney on Wye Village Hall