Minutes 18th June 2018

MINUTES OF MEETING
18th June 2018, Winforton Community Hall

Present: Alan Watkins (Chair), Chris Davies, Phil Eggerton, James Forrest, Andrew Layton, Terry Morgan, Andrew Preece, Lewis Price, Rob Taylor, Paul Whittall, Stephen Whittall

In Attendance: Ward Cllr (Dep.) Roger Philips, Clerk to the Parish Council Alison Morgan

Members of the Public: 11

1. Apologies were accepted from Ward Councillor Clive Skelton, Sue Prosser, Tony Raymond Not in Attendance: Ken Goodman, Julian Wyatt

2. Cllr Phil Eggerton declared an Interest in anticipation of Agenda item 7.1. However, this proved to be unnecessary and he was not, therefore, required to leave the room. The register was updated accordingly.

2.1. No requests for Dispensation were received for this meeting.

3. Open Discussion:

3.1. Ward Councillor Address: Deputising Ward Cllr Roger Phillips addressed the meeting and advised a more detailed report would be circulated shortly. Since the last meeting when the ongoing barrier repair works close to Whitney Toll Bridge were first raised with Cllr Price, no apparent progress had been made. Roger was advised by BBLP that this was specialist work & had been contracted out. Roger will chase up with Herefordshire Council and express EGPC’s view that any delay should not impact council tax payers. Ward Cllr Skelton was due to attend a Planning Committee meeting on 20th June. Efforts are being made to update a survey from 2005 on the movement of HGV’s in North Herefordshire, a focus from which was a proposed bypass around Eardisley. There is a possibility the A44 could be upgraded to a ‘strategic route’; this is currently at a technical stage and Roger will ensure affected parishes are represented if/when this moves forward to consultation.

3.2. Public Participation Period: Topics and comments made included:

  • Footpath WW1 in Winforton next to the Poppins development is very overgrown; it was reported the path needs resurfacing.
  • Footpath WW6 in Winforton runs along the fence of Lynwood Cottage & will be affected by the new development on the land to the rear of Lynwood. A new pavement/kerb is thought to be needed. The finger post at The Hollies needs to be re-sited. This is due to be mentioned during the upcoming Parish Drive Round.
  • Concerns raised about drainage relating to the Lynwood site development.
  • Winforton TRO: This now ranks 12th on the waiting list and a decision is estimated within 2 weeks.
    PCSO Steph Annette & colleagues recently carried out speed enforcement in Winforton with a new, high tech camera.
  • An issue (also noted by PCSO) is reported with the angle of the left-hand 30mph sign in Winforton (from Willersley end) & will be included as an issue for the drive round; also, a reminder about the manhole cover issue in Winforton.
  • It was agreed the meeting would be opened at Agenda Item 9 to enable Nancy to provide an update.
  • Poor broadband speed in some areas of the Parish. Clerk to contact Fastershire to make views known.
  • A question was raised regarding how Parish Council decisions on financial spend are made. In view of the detail necessary to explain this, it was agreed to respond at the next meeting.

4. The Minutes of the annual meeting held on 21st May 2018 were APPROVED and signed by the Chairman as a true record. In addition, Minutes of the ordinary meeting held on the same date were approved, with a correction to note Steve Whittall was present.

5. The Finance & Compliance Working Group reported:

5.1. Working Group Reports at PC Meetings: A year (plus) on from setting up Working Groups, their reports are standard agenda items. As such, it was proposed Standing Orders be amended to enable resident members of WG’s to provide status updates during these items without the need to open/close the meeting each time, as this should be a given. Recommendation APPROVED.

5.2. HALC Internal Audit: Findings & Recommendations: The Clerk showed the report and advised two control areas were highlighted for improvement: a) budget setting and b) risk management. The report was ACCEPTED; an explanatory statement prepared by the Clerk was signed by the Clerk & Chairman as part of the Annual Governance & Accountability Return 2017/18, Part 2.

5.3. Annual Return 2018-19: Certificate of Exemption: The certificate was reviewed, ADOPTED by the full Council and signed by Chairman and Responsible Financial Officer (RFO). The Clerk will return it to the external auditor before the deadline of 25.06.2018.

5.4. Annual Return 2018-19: Section 1: Annual Governance Statement 2017/18: The Annual Governance Statement was considered and completed by the members present. It was AGREED the findings of the Internal Audit Report should translate as a ‘No’ response to internal control statement 5 (risk assessment). This section was duly signed by the Chairman & Clerk and will be published on the EGPC web site.

5.5. Annual Return 2018-19: Section 2: Accounting Statements 2017/18: The Accounting Statement was reviewed and ADOPTED by the members present, together with the Explanation of Variances statement prepared by the Clerk/RFO. This section was signed by the Chairman and RFO; it will also be published on the EGPC web site.

5.6. Annual Return 2018-19: Exercise of Public Rights: It was AGREED the Clerk will prepare and publish this document, using a template provided by the external auditor. Key dates commence on Monday, 2nd July and end on Friday, 10th August 2018.

5.7. Of the policies brought forward for review:

5.7.1. Asset Register: It was agreed to add the Silent Soldier Silhouettes; on this basis, the updated version was APPROVED. However, it was also agreed to further investigate whether the Pump House should be listed as an asset, which it currently is not.

5.7.2. It was agreed review of items 5.7.2 – 5.7.4 [Complaints Procedure, Equal Opportunities Policy and Press & Media Policy] should be rolled forward to the next meeting. Councillors are expected to have read the draft policies and prepared feedback/questions in advance to save time during the meeting.

6. Report from the Planning Working Group (PWG): The Chairman opened the meeting to enable Nancy James to provide an update and recommendations from the WG, as follows:

6.1. Glebe Site: Eardisley members of the PWG, together with the Chairman reviewed an architect’s first pass of the design, provided strictly in confidence. The PWG’s initial response was sent indicating more work was required on several key areas, as well as greater alignment with the NDP as a start point. A revised draft is expected in early July and it should be possible to share this more widely. Further to Cllr Price’s comments at the last meeting, Nancy contacted Herefordshire Council and found out about a non-Housing Association scheme offering discounted market housing, with priority for local people, which may be applicable should this development proceed.

6.2. The following Planning Applications were considered:

6.2.1. P181870/F – Garden Cottage, Winforton HR3 6EA: Proposed erection of detached single storey garage and day room with WC facilities. The view of the WG was this did not represent a significant change and would be done using materials that were more in keeping. The application should, therefore, be supported.

6.2.2. P181871/L – Garden Cottage, Winforton HR3 6EA: (As above, listed consent). Proposed erection of detached single storey garage and day room with WC facilities. Recommendation as above.

6.2.3. P181873/F – Land at the rear of Lynwood, Winforton HR3 6EA: Variation of a condition following grant of planning permission. To change house types and materials. The WG saw no issue with the proposed changes, which add a bungalow to the housing mix, which was viewed as a positive amendment.

6.2.4. P181973/F – Upper House Farm, Eardisley HR3 6PW: Proposed covering of existing farm yard manure store so to minimise diffuse pollution risk/run off. Extension attached to current farm building. The WG saw no reason why this application should not be supported as it is for agricultural use, is designed to reduce pollution and will be erected in an existing farmyard area with no impact on other domestic properties.

6.2.5. P181856/FH – Silver Birch, Eardisley HR3 6PQ: Proposed conversion of existing attached garage to form playroom, new cycle storage building, installation of solar PV panels to existing dwelling and proposed alterations to fenestration on existing dwelling. Retrospective. The WG commented this application does not materially change the footprint or external view of the property. Therefore, the recommendation was to support this application.

Nancy drew attention also to application P182099/PA7 – prior notification of an agricultural building at Willersley Court. This is for information only and no comments are being accepted.

Following further discussion, the PC RESOLVED to follow the WG’s recommendations in their response to HC Planning Department; the Clerk to respond accordingly to HC Planning on items 6.2.1 to 6.2.5, as above.

6.3. A round-up of all planning activity since the last meeting can be found in Planning Minutes June on the EGPC web site and/or you can review full details of each application via the HC Planning Portal (direct link from EGPC web site): https://eardisleygrouppc.org/planning-applications/

7. The Highways Working Group (HWG) update reiterated the issue with traffic lights & duration of barrier repair works at Whitney. The latest SID data (which will be circulated to village email distribution lists) highlighted a top speed of 99 mph in Whitney and 83 mph in Winforton during the analysis period. In addition, the following Highways topics were discussed:

7.1. Lengthsman/P3 Schemes: The Clerk reported the 2017-18 claim was reimbursed by HC, including invoice 3274 from Richard Mills (Lengthsman) for £1,700.40, which it was AGREED would be paid once all outstanding works are complete. A contract was agreed between EGPC/HC with approved funding for P3 of £2,175.00. Phil Eggerton advised other parishes use a volunteer (councillor) role of P3 Coordinator working between Footpath Officers and Clerk to identify & prioritise P3 works and manage the budget & quality control on a day-to-day basis. It was RESOLVED the HWG should consider this further. In addition, the HWG should review a standard P3 contract and make proposals relevant for EGPC. A sample contract will be sent to them by the Clerk.

7.2. Parish Drive Round, Whitney/Winforton: Scheduled for Tuesday, 26th June. A ‘wish-list’ of issues for each village is being assembled. HWG members Terry Morgan & James Forrest will take part, in addition to the Clerk, Lara Edwards (BBLP) and Lengthsman (Richard Mills). An update will be given at the next PC meeting.

7.3. ‘No SatNav’ Warning Signs: This item had to be rolled forward. It was identified a member of the HWG needs to look at requirements on the ground and make recommendations regarding how many signs & their proposed locations to cover the loop from Woodseaves Road, around Lower Welson and out to the Kington Road.

8. Community Services update:

8.1 Defibrillator Status & Signage: The Clerk has briefed the Winforton volunteer (Jo Jones) on checking the defibrillator. The Chairman to follow up with Shaun Middleton regarding electrical installation paperwork. The WG needs to agree how many signs are required, type of sign and proposed locations in each village, as appropriate.

8.2 ‘No Dog Fouling’ signs (Eardisley, near the Pump House): costs/options to be reviewed. It was suggested two signs are required to be located either side of the pump house. Andrew Preece to check the location to determine if there are existing structures to which signs could be affixed.

9. Neighbourhood Plan Review – 2 Years On: The meeting was opened for Nancy to report on this item. Nancy commented on the two-year period of protection against being deemed ‘out of date’ (which was 13.06.2018 for EGPC). This does not mean it no longer has force of law or can be ignored by HC Planning Committee and it continues to be material in determining planning applications. However, if HC makes changes to its core strategy, this could have a significant impact on all NDP’s. Apart from making minor wording amendments, all changes imply cost and possibly even a new referendum.

• Nancy observed several achievements: particularly with planning applications, some traffic calming measures and most recently improved mobile telephone signal for some in Eardisley.
• More resident working group members are needed.
• It was recommended the Planning WG should widen its remit to include Jobs and the local Economy.
• Next steps could include the Glebe site development.

10. Speed Issue, Woodseaves Road: It was reported many vehicles, including HGV’s speed through this narrow road, including round bends, causing a danger. It was RESOLVED the Highways WG should consider this point and report back.

11. Telecommunication Mast Issues: Eardisley: Residents with Freeview TV were left without TV reception. However, this has now been resolved by provision of free filters and advice has been circulated locally.

12. ‘Smartwater’ Initiative: Run by the Police & Crime Commissioner’s office with possibile funding for parish councils to facilitate crime prevention schemes using invisible ink to mark property. It was AGREED this should be investigated by the Community Services WG.

13. Bank balances as at 8th June were confirmed as follows:

Main Account:                     £11,605.32
No. 2 Account:                       £7,353.90
Business Saver Account:    £3,780.66

Since the last meeting, the Clerk paid (<£100.00 & dispensation on green bags):
Payee                                     Description                                          Gross Amount (£)   VAT (£)
V8 Media Ltd                          Monthly Web Site Hosting                             19.39                   3.23
Eardisley VH                           Hall Hire (April Meeting)                                 18.00                  0.00

It was RESOLVED to pay the following:

Payee                                     Description                                          Gross Amount (£)   VAT (£)

A Morgan                                Office & Clerk Expenses (May)                      68.28                   7.99
A Morgan                                Microsoft Subscription Renewal                   59.99                 10.00
Eardisley VH                           Hall Hire (May Meetings)                                38.00                   0.00
HMRC                                      PAYE (Q1/2018-19)                                        262.75                   0.00

14. Correspondence: The following items were noted:

• Carrot & Wine Licence Application: The Planning WG will review this as a response is required prior to the next meeting.
• Carrot & Wine Community Library Service: following recent communication with the Clerk, an email was received from the owner confirming he has liaised with Hereford Library and intends to re-launch the community library service in Whitney. Start date to be confirmed.
• Herefordshire Armed Forces week 25-30th June is taking place mostly in & around Leominster this year. Details of the programme of events have been circulated via village email distributions.

15. Matters for the Next Agenda – no discussion:

15.1. Parish Council process for making Financial decisions (for inclusion in Finance & Compliance Working Group report)

 

Please send Agenda items to the Clerk by Friday, 13th July, thank you.

NEXT MEETING: Monday, 23rd July 2018, 7:30pm, Winforton Community Hall