Minutes 17th September

MINUTES OF MEETING

17th September 2018, Eardisley Village Hall

Present: Alan Watkins (Chair), Chris Davies, Phil Eggerton, James Forrest, Ken Goodman, Andrew Layton, Terry Morgan, Lewis Price, Sue Prosser, Tony Raymond, Rob Taylor, Paul Whittall, Stephen Whittall

In Attendance: Clerk to the Parish Council Alison Morgan

Members of the Public: 9

1. Apologies were accepted from Andrew Preece and Ward Councillors Clive Skelton & Roger Phillips Not in Attendance: Julian Wyatt

2. Cllr Eggerton declared an Interest in Agenda item 5.4 and Cllr Layton in respect of item 5.5; the register was signed accordingly.

2.1. No requests for Dispensation were received for this meeting.

3. Open Discussion:

3.1. Ward Councillor Address: In the absence of Roger Phillips, the Clerk summarised from an email; main points were: 1) 2019 road resurfacing bids needed to be submitted asap to BBLP. 2) A reminder about the PC Summit meeting with the HC Leader on 17th October (the Chairman is due to attend). 3) A Clerks’ meeting had taken place recently, also attended by Community Police, HC Planning and Lara Edwards, BBLP Locality Steward. 4) Whitney safety barrier costs: Roger is in ongoing contact with BBLP who are awaiting information from the police regarding costs extracted from the insurance company. A further update will be sent by email when available. A more detailed report from Roger will follow shortly and will be distributed when available.

3.2. Public Participation Period: Topics and comments made included:

  • A Brilley resident expressed concerns about the latest planning application (P182750/F) at Welshwood to change agricultural land into tourism use. Local objections including sewerage and the impact of a 4m high hedge on the Herefordshire trail. (Item 6.1.2. below refers).
  • Yvonne King reported Courtlands residents had highlighted issues with priority and speeding on the road to/from the new development causing a risk to drivers entering/exiting the Courtlands road, since there are no road markings (Item 7.3 below refers).
  • Yvonne and Susan Warne (FO) had met with Mark Tansley, Enforcement Officer, HC Planning to make him aware of the issue with Footpath WW1 adjacent to The Poppins and discrepancies vis-à-vis the Diversion Order. Mark is investigating further (Item 7.4 below refers).
  • Gareth Pugh informed the meeting that the A L Lewis VC Memorial Trail proposal was going ahead, with a circular route around Whitney & Brilley. Stylised way marker signs were being designed, as well as a trifold information flyer for visitors walking the route.
  • Concern was expressed at the frequency/speed of overtaking on double white lines in Winforton.
  • Local crime and burglaries were a concern in Winforton.
  • Steve Morgan (Secretary, RBL) advised two additional silent soldier silhouettes had been ordered for Whitney, following the disappearance of the original silhouette. The replacements were being purchased with money donated following a local appeal.

4. The Minutes of the meeting held on 23rd July 2018 were APPROVED and signed by the Chairman as a true record.

5. The Finance & Compliance Working Group (FCWG) reported:

5.1. VAT Return 2017-18: The Clerk had submitted this to HMRC for approval; the refund claim amounted to £612.19. Full details of the claim are published on the EGPC web site.

5.2. Authorised Banking Access/On-line Banking: following service issues with the PC’s current bank, the Clerk had identified that most Clerks in other parishes were authorised personnel on the parish bank accounts, although not cheque signatories. It was proposed and APPROVED the Clerk would process this change for EGPC as an interim measure to enable the Clerk to properly manage the account and as a first step towards setting up on-line banking.

5.3. Documents & Policies for Adoption/Update: The FCWG had reviewed the policies on the agenda, links to which were circulated to councillors prior to the meeting. Except for the Assets Register, all documents are based on model policies to ensure best practices are incorporated and compliance with statutory obligations is achieved.

5.3.1. Assets Register: updated to include the Silent Soldier Silhouettes and to remove Whitney’s model following its disappearance. APPROVED.

5.3.2. Publication Scheme & PC Information Guide: the drafts were APPROVED and adopted without further amendment.

5.3.3. Standing Orders: the updated draft was APPROVED and adopted without further amendment at this time.

5.3.4. Financial Regulations: the updated document was APPROVED and adopted without further amendment at this time.

5.4. P3 Contract Documentation: Cllr Eggerton left the room for this item. After considerable debate, it was agreed to send the latest draft document to all councillors for review further consideration prior to finalising it.

5.5. Donation Request: Millennium Green: Cllr Layton did not vote on this item as he is a Trustee. A completed donation application request had been received. After consideration, it was RESOLVED the request for a grant of £1,000.00 should be approved.

6. The Planning Working Group (PWG) reported news on the proposed Glebe site development: a pre-application had been submitted by the Dioceses for feedback and forewarning of potential issues from HC. The next step will be a full Planning Application. The consultant will share feedback with the PWG/Parish Council when it is received.

6.1. Following recommendations from the PWG and general discussion, it was AGREED the Clerk should send PC comments to the Planning Department at HC, as follows:

6.1.1. P183087/EN – Land at Bollingham Farm, Bower Brook Farm, Upper Welson Farm & Great Quebb Farm, Eardisley: Proposed reconductoring of 11KV overhead line & upgrade to 3 phase (3 wires). There were no concerns about this routine improvement and the application should be supported.

6.1.2. P182750/F – Land at Welshwood Farm, Whitney on Wye HR3 6JA: EGPC is not a formal consultee for this application as it falls under Brilley PC. Nevertheless, the site abuts and is visible from the boundary with Whitney. A previous application was commented on by EGPC and it was agreed further comments objecting to the proposals should be made. Original concerns raised still stood, particularly in relation to drainage, the proposed 4m hedge and its impact on the Herefordshire Trail.

6.2. A round-up of all planning activity since the last meeting can be found in Planning Minutes September on the EGPC web site and/or you can review full details of each application via the HC Planning Portal (direct link from EGPC web site): https://eardisleygrouppc.org/planning-applications/

7. The Highways Working Group (HWG) gave their report and confirmed a new bid for resurfacing the road in the northern section of the village was needed, together with any other bids for roads resurfacing throughout the Parish. Requests will go forward into the 2019/20 bid. Chevrons had been damaged following hedge cutting above Wootton Farm, Eardisley and would need to be raised with BBLP. In addition, the following agenda items were discussed:

7.1. A438 Whitney Crash Barrier Repair: The Clerk advised Ward Cllr Phillips was in the process of obtaining information on costs in liaison with BBLP/HC and the Police as the damage was caused by an accident and is subject to an insurance claim. Cllr Price expressed his disappointment this information was still not available and requested the details as soon as possible.

7.2. Eardisley TRO & Road Works Update: an email was received from Graham Hornsby (BBLP) advising a delay in installing the anti-skid road surface adjacent to the village gates at the northern end of the village due to the poor state of the road at this location. Remedial works were necessary prior to the installation and these had been requested.

7.3. Speeding Issue, The Courtlands, Winforton: See Public Participation above. The HWG would look at options for priority signage/white lines to be taken forward with BBLP.

7.4. Footpath WW1 (Winforton): See Public Participation above. The HWG would try to establish current ownership and seek to take this issue forward.

7.5. ‘No SatNav’ Warning Signs: The Clerk advised signs would need to be made as bespoke items as the pictorial warning sign was not yet available as standard. Initial research indicated an estimated cost of £70-75.00 each for the signs, plus fixings. The HWG undertook to investigate this further prior to placing an order.

8. Community Services update:

8.1. Defibrillator Signage: Likely location for Winforton is on the roadside by Sportfish (external rigid sign); in Whitney, the Carrot & Wine food hall has not yet confirmed its permission, but it was hoped this would be forthcoming; Cllr Taylor had agreed a further sign could be attached to the proposed AL Lewis Trail information board in the Boat Inn car park (both external rigid signs); the Clerk will further research costing and Cllrs Eggerton & Davies will confirm Eardisley requirements.

8.2. ‘No Dog Fouling’ signs (Eardisley, near the Pump House: the Clerk had submitted a bid for several free signs from HC, but no reply had yet been received. Initial costings indicated aluminium signs with channelling for post mounting were around £20.00 + VAT. Following discussion, it was AGREED the Clerk should purchase two signs.

9. Environment:

9.1. Eardisley Flood Alert Scheme: Cllr Layton undertook to research relevant contact numbers and information that could be published on the EGPC web site.

10. Bank balances as at 7th September were confirmed as follows:

Main Account                                    £9,450.57
No. 2 Account                                    £7,246.78
Business Saver Account                 £3,782.55

Since the last meeting, the Clerk paid (<£100.00 & dispensation on green bags and as agreed in January 2018 Minutes, item 5.2):

Payee                                   Description                                       Gross Amount (£)   VAT (£)
HALC                                   GDPR Training (Clerk)                                     36.00                 6.00
Herefordshire Council     Green Bags                                                     304.00                 0.00
A Morgan                           Green Bags (top-up reimbursement

                                            following price increase)                                  76.00                0.00
Winforton CH                   Hall Hire (June/July 2018)                                  40.00                0.00
Communicorp                  Annual Subscription                                          12.00                0.00
HALC                                 Internal Audit (2017-18)                                   180.00              30.00

It was RESOLVED to pay the following:

Payee                                   Description                                       Gross Amount (£)   VAT (£)
A Morgan                           Office & Clerk Expenses (Jul/Aug)                 20.58                   2.66
HMRC                                 PAYE (Q2/2018-19)                                        262.80                   0.00

10. Correspondence: The following items were noted:

10.1. HC: Housing & Employment Site Options Consultation

10.2. HC Invitation to PC Summit 17.10.2018

10.3. Herefordshire Walking Festival 2019

10.4. HC: Draft Children’s & Young People’s Plan Consultation

10.5. HC: Precept Requirements 2019-20

 

11. Matters for the Next Agenda – no discussion:

 

Please send Agenda items to the Clerk by Friday, 12th October, thank you.

NEXT MEETING: Monday, 22nd October 2018, 7:30pm in Whitney on Wye Village Hall