Councillor Elections & Co-option

Do you care about local matters affecting your community and would you be willing to represent their views as part of the first tier of local government – your Parish Council?


Notice is hereby given that a casual vacancy is deemed to have occurred in the office of Councillor for Eardisley Parish, following the resignation of Clint Welson. The formal notice issued by the Electoral Services Office of Herefordshire Council can be found on parish noticeboards and is accessible via the link below. Details will also be publicised via the village electronic (email) noticeboards.  Deadline for requesting an election to be held (see the Notice for details) is Friday, 22nd January 2021.


If a valid request for an election is not received by the deadline specified by the Electoral Services office in their official notice, Eardisley Group Parish Council will seek to co-opt a person to fill the vacancy as soon as practicable in accordance with the Local Elections (Parishes and Communities) Rules 1986.

Further details can be found in the Parish Council’s Councillor Co-option policy:

Councillor Co-option Policy – DRAFT

Councillor Co-option Application Form – DRAFT


Vacancy Notice – 4th January 2021

Could You Be a Councillor?

If you meet the following criteria and are prepared to make a commitment to holding public office, the answer is probably YES!

You need to be:

  • British or a citizen of the Commonwealth or European Union
  • At least 18 years old
  • Registered to vote in the area or have lived, worked or owned property there for at least 12 months before an election

You can’t be a councillor if you:

  • Work for the council you want to be a councillor for, or for another local authority in a political restricted post
  • Are the subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order or interim order
  • Have been sentenced to prison for three months or more (including suspended sentences) during the 5 years before election day
  • Have been convicted of a corrupt or illegal practice by an election court
For more details, go to Herefordshire Council’s Be A Councillor web site page, which provides all the information and steps you need to take.
If in doubt, you should contact Herefordshire Council’s Electoral Services team at the Town Hall, St Owen Street, Hereford HR1 2PJ or email or telephone (Main Switchboard) 01432 260000.


In addition to the very helpful and comprehensive Herefordshire Council web site, you may like to look at the following guidance on what it means to be a Councillor: